The Board of Control for Cricket in India has confirmed the domestic events’ dates to its affiliate State associations. The season will commence on September 20 with the Women’s Under-19 One Day Championship and the Vinoo Mankad Trophy.
The BCCI is aiming to complete the limited overs events before starting the Ranji Trophy and other “red ball” events. The senior national championship – Ranji Trophy – will be played between January 5 and March 20.
The Ranji Trophy was earlier scheduled to be played between November 16 and February 19. Considering the prevailing Covid threat, the board has decided to amend the calendar.
“The pandemic has been tough on all of us, we have all had to make some hard decisions that have kept us from playing a full-fledged domestic cricket season in India. On behalf of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), we thank all our state associations, administrators, match officials, coaches, and athletes, for their patience and understanding,” BCCI secretary Jay Shah has written to the State associations..
The limited overs games are scheduled ahead of the Ranji Trophy will help the players gain vital match fitness before the long format competitions.
There will be five Elite groups, with each group comprising six teams, in Vijay Hazare Trophy, Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy and the Ranji Trophy. There will be one Plate group of eight teams. The winner of the five Elite groups will reach the quarterfinals directly. The second-placed teams from each Elite group and the winner of the Plate group will play three pre-quarter finals and the three winners will complete the quarter-final line-up, states a report by the Sportstar.
The teams can have a squad size of maximum 30 members, including a minimum of 20 players. The support staff is capped at 10. The last date for the Inter-state transfer and registration of guest players, according to the BCCI, will be 15 days prior to the start of the specific tournament.
Revised Domestic calendar:
- Women’s Under 19 (One-Day) -September 20 – October 18
- Vinoo Mankad Trophy -September 20 – October 18
- Men Challenger Trophy (U-19 ) – October 26 – November 9
- Women Challenger Trophy (U-19) – October 25 – November 6
- Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy -October 27 – November 22
- Senior Women’s One-Day -October 20 – November 20
- Men’s State A One-Day – November 9 – December 10
- Vijay Hazare Trophy -December 1 – December 29
- Senior Women’s Challenger Trophy -November 26 – December 8
- Ranji Trophy -January 5 – March 20
- Cooch Behar Trophy (Men’s U-19) – November 21 to February 2
- CK Nayudu (Men 4-day, U-25)- January 6 – April 2
- Senior Women’s T20 -February 20 to March 23
- Vijay Merchant Trophy (Men U-16 ) -November-December